This grand circle tour leads you from Gothenburg to Lake Siljan in Dalarna and then over to the east coast, where you visit Stockholm. The route is approximately 1,800 km long.
You can either begin your journey in Gothenburg or in Helsingborg – depending on which ferry you take and where you arrive with your motorhome. In the description below we start in Gothenburg and drive the circular route in a clockwise direction towards Stockholm.
The map is best viewed on a desktop computer. You can switch off layers in the map legend area (red checkboxes). Just try it out.
Don’t have a motorhome?
If you don’t have a motorhome, you can rent it from us – fully equipped.
On this route you will find the following attractions (clockwise)
- Gothenburg with the amusement park Liseberg
- Bohuslän with the islands Tjörn and Orust and the city of Uddevalla
- the great Lake Vänern, which you pass on its western side
- Vita Sannar Beach and Vita Sandars Camping in Mellerud, Dalsland
- the Dalsland Canal
- Säffle and the Säffle Canal
- Karlstad, the biggest town in Värmland
- nothern Värmland with Sunne and Torsby (if you like to go cross-country skiing, you can do it here even in summer – there is a ski tunnel in Torsby)
- via Malung you get to Mora by Lake Siljan
- you drive around Lake Siljan and visit Rättvik and Leksand
- Falun, which is a World Heritage site
- then you leave Dalarna and pass through Gävle and Uppsala on your way to Stockholm
- from Stockholm you head back over the E4 mtorway and get a chance to see Nyköping, Norrköping, Linköping, Gränna by Lake Vättern, Jönköping and a part of Småland
- when you arrive in Helsingborg, you can either take the ferry over to Denmark and head home or you could proceed on your route back to Gothenburg
- on your way to Gothenburg you pass Laholm, Halmstad, Falkenberg, Varberg, and Kungsbacka – all located in the province of Halland
Hotels in Sweden
Our route suggestion is primarily intended for tourists with motorhomes/RVs. Of course you can also drive this route in a car and spend the nights in hotels, hostels or B&Bs.
Book now: Hotels, hostels, B&Bs in Sweden
The Lake Siljan region
Gamla Stan, Stockholm’s old town
Gränna by Lake Vättern in Småland