Sweden is a golfing nation with 465 clubs and 477,000 members in the Swedish Golf Federation (2016) plus numerous open courses. Golf has long since become a national sport in this country. That is why you can choose from so many different greens.
Not surprisingly Skåne, the southernmost province of the country, stands out: No other region in Scandinavia has such a concentration of courses with different architectures.
When you are in central Skåne, for example, you can reach more than 70 courses within an hour’s drive. The portfolio comprises short, hilly and typically English courses with park character as well as seaside courses and links courses à la Scotland with white sand dunes and heather.
Ringenäs Golf Club in Halmstad, Halland
Halmstad is even called the “Golf Capital of Sweden”. There are 12 courses in Halmstad. In the Scandinavian School of Golf one can even combine academic studies with playing golf.
In the southern part of Dalarna there are several popular courses, particularly in the region of Borlänge, Falun, Gagnef, and Ludvika.
Even in Lapland
Playing golf in Lapland north of the arctic circle is completely different, of course. Here you can play under the midnight sun. Even in the rest of the country you will find a huge variety of excellent greens.
The three best courses in Sweden
Tomas Hagfeldt from the Swedish magazine “Golf Digest” regards the following three courses as the best in Sweden (Source: “Uppslaget”, Posten):
- Ljunghusens Golfklubb in Falsterbo, Skåne – located by the sea
- Visby Golfklubb on the island of Gotland – here the winds change often
- Ombergs Golfklubb in Ödeshög, Östergötland – overlooking the Lake Vättern
The golf season in Sweden is probably shorter than in many outher countries. However, during the summer months this is compensated by the long hours of daylight.
In Skåne the first courses open in the first half of April. They close in October or even in the beginning of November.
- Courses: www.golfkartan.se
- SGF, Swedish Golf Federation: www.golf.se
- Motorhome parking areas on courses throughout Sweden: www.campinggolf.se
Golf hotels and golf resorts in Sweden
Here comes a selection of golf hotels and golf resorts from Skåne in the south to Jämtland in the north (in cooperation with Booking.com):
- Lydinge Golf Resort in Hyllinge, Skåne
- Golfhotellet in Malmö/Sturup, Skåne
- Ekerum Resort Öland in Rälla on the island of Öland
- Gumbalde Golf & Hotel in Stånga on the island of Gotland
- Hooks Herrgård & Golf in Hok south of Jönköping, Småland
- Wiredaholm Golf & Konferens in Vireda, Småland
- Ringenäs Golfhotell in Halmstad, Halland
- Varbergs Golfhotell in Himle, Halland
- Sankt Jörgen Park Resort in Gothenburg (Swedish Luxury Golf Resort of the year 2016)
- Öijared Hotel in Floda east of Gothenburg, Västergötland (the hotel is part of a unique park with four golf courses)
- Knistad Herrgård in Skövde, Västergötland
- Vesterby Golf Hotell & Konferens in Sundsmåla, Östergötland
- Åda Golf & Country Club in Trosa, Sörmland
- Körunda Golf & Conference Hotel in Ösmo, Sörmland
- Smådalarö Gård in the Stockholm archipelago, with its own 9-hole course in an area with forests, meadows and water
- Dagsholm Hotell Konferens & Golfcenter in Färgelanda, Dalsland
- Quality Hotel & Resort Frösö Park near Östersund, Jämtland
Ringenäs Golfhotell in Halmstad, Halland
Golf course next to the new Quality Hotel & Resort Frösö Park in Jämtland
Hills Golf Club in Mölndal – even though this looks almost like rural Dalarna, the course is located in one of Sweden’s biggest metropolitan areas, Gothenburg, and just 5 minutes off the E6 motorway
The Mölle course in Skåne, “established 1943”
Our photo on the top of this page is from a golf course near Gothenburg: the Öijared golf club in Nääs (between Gothenburg and Alingsås); photo of Quality Hotel & Resort Frösö Park: Quality Hotel & Resort Frösö Park