Holiday villages, holiday parks, and resort villages are mostly called “stugby” or “fritidsby” in Swedish. Sometimes they are affiliated with a hotel, sometimes with a campsite. Some of these villages/parks are completely independent.
Perfect for families with children
Generally these villages/parks are perfect for families with children. Many sites have playgrounds, minigolf courses, shops, restaurants, canoe rentals and other facilities. Some offer activites such as horse riding, hiking, mountainbiking or treasure hunts.
Holiday parks are also convenient when two families want to go on a holiday together.
Holiday villages, holiday parks, and resort villages
- Mötesplats Borstahusen, in Landskrona, Skåne; this is a 5-star campsite and holiday resort, located right next to the sea, a fishing harbour, and a golf course; lots of playgrounds for the kids
- Västervik Resort – Lysingsbadet, in Västervik, Småland (booked often on our sites)
- Apelvikens Camping & Cottages, in Varberg, Halland (Apelviken is surfers paradise)
- Lisebergsbyn, in Gothenburg
- Skotteksgården Cottages, in Ulricehamn, Västergötland (booked often on our sites)
- Lagunen Cottages and Hostel, in Strömstad, Bohuslän
- Gustavsvik Stugby & Camping, in Örebro
- Grinda Stugby & Vandrarhem, on the island of Grinda in Vaxholm, Stockholm archipelago
- Sunne Camping och Sommarland, in Sunne, Värmland (another favourite of our kids)
- Klarälvens Camping, in Stöllet, Värmland
- Leksand Strand Camping och Resort, in Leksand, Dalarna (my personal favourite, see picture on the top of this page; this is a 5-star campsite/resort since 2022)
- First Camp Enåbadet, in Rättvik, Dalarna
Kosta Lodge (formerly Kosta Hotel & Stugby) in the Kingdom of Crystal, Småland
We also recommend the holiday park Isaberg Mountain Resort in Småland that we have tested ourselves with our kids (then aged 12 and 8). Unusual by Swedish standards: This holiday park is open all year round, with downhill skiing in winter. During the summer, mountainbiking is extremely popular here.