In Sweden there are about 350 official rest areas and rest spots along motorways, European roads (E4, E6 …) and major national roads (“riksväg”). They are managed and maintained on behalf of the government agency “Trafikverket”, which is the Swedish transport administration.
Many rest areas are beautifully located
Standard and facilities of the rest areas vary. In general, there are at least information boards, toilets, rubbish bins and seats with tables. Some even have playgrounds, barbecue areas or bathing spots.
Many rest areas are beautifully located next to lakes or they offer magnificent views. Two examples are the rest area Tossebergsklätten near Sunne in Värmland and the rest area Brösarps Backar in Österlen, southeast Skåne (see pictures below for both rest areas).
Online directory of all rest areas
Those who want to plan their breaks in advance will find all rest areas in Sweden with information on standard, facilities and location on the website of Trafikverket: trafikinfo.trafikverket.se/LIT/#url=Vagtrafiken/English.
“Rastplatskartan” – a road map with all Swedish rest areas
Rastplatskartan – the handy map
A little printed road map is very handy for the car. This map is the so-called “Rastplatskartan” by Trafikverket. It is usually available from all Swedish tourist informations but can also be ordered or downloaded from Trafikverket’s web shop (the web shop is in Swedish but if you search for “Rastplatskartan” in the upper right corner, you will be able to find the map). The map shows all official rest areas and rest spots in Sweden. The map is updated every year.
Sweden’s best rest areas
Motormännen, the Swedish Association of motorists, voted the best Swedish rest areas in 2013:
- Blekinge County: Senoren
- Kronoberg County: Innaren
- Västra Götaland: Boråstorpet
- Uppsala County: Mora Stenar
- Västernorrland County: Borgsjö
- Skåne County: Anilla
- Gävleborg County: Ångersjön
- Östergötland County: Östgötaporten
- Västerbotten County: Enebacken
- Örebro County: Stora Hammarsundet, norra (northern)
- Västmanland County: Frösvi
- Kalmar County: Bröms
- Dalarnas County: Spjutmosjön
- Jönköping County: Gyllene Uttern (our favourite rest area because of the great view over Lake Vättern)
- Jämtlands County: Krokomsviken
- Värmlands County: Hänsjön
- Halland County: Snapparp, östra
- Norrbotten County: Kattilakoski
- Södermanland County: Råbyhed, östra
- Stockholm County: Stora Wäsby
- Gotland County: Kyrkviken
Brösarps backar in Österlen, Skåne
Tossebergsklätten on the E45 near Sunne in Värmland