Vasaloppet’s competition management has appointed Hanna Eriksson from IFK Mora to be the 92nd Kranskulla in history, and management for Tjejvasan has appointed Johan Wellert from Sälens IF to be the 28th Kransmas. These two have been given what is often called the most prestigious assignment among the thousands of functionaries who make Vasaloppet’s events possible.
Right now there are 78,000 participants registered for Vasaloppet’s Winter Week in February/March 2016 and Vasaloppet’s Summer Week in August 2016. Both will take place in Mora, Dalarna.
- Kranskulla facts: Hanna Eriksson (Kranskulla #92). Active within IFK Mora SK and IFK Mora OK.
- Age: 20 years (born February 2, 1995).
- Lives: In Falun, but raised in Mora.
- Family: Her mother Maria (Kranskulla 1992), father Ulf, little sister Sara.
- Occupation: Studying sociology at Dalarna University and attending Dala Sports Academy in Falun, which allows her to combine elite sports and studies.
- Sports: Cross-country skiing, ski orienteering, and orienteering during the summer.
- Merits: 1 Junior World Championship bronze and 2 Junior Swedish Championship golds 2015 in ski orienteering. A second placement in Piteå for 5 km free, cross-country Junior Cup 2014–15.
- Interests: Hanging out with friends, fika.
- Describes herself as: Happy, forward, ambitious and stubborn.
- Kransmas facts: Johan Wellert (Kransmas #28). Freeskiing leader in Sälens IF .
- Age: 27 years (born April 15, 1988).
- Lives: Fiskarheden, Transtrand, a few kilometres south of the Vasaloppet start.
- Family: His mother Karin, father Joel, brother Martin.
- Occupation: Working full time, three-shift, at Fiskarheden’s saw mill.
- Sports: Freeskiing. Johan coaches Sälens IF Actionsport.
- Interests: Skiing alone, fishing, wakeboarding, downhill mountain biking.
- Describes himself as: Calm and honest.
Kranskulla and Kransmas history
Vasaloppet’s Kranskulla made her debut in connection with the first race in 1922, while the first Kransmas appeared when the first Tjejvasan took place in 1988. Since 2005, the Kransmas also crowns the ladies’ class winner in Vasaloppet with her victory wreath. The Kranskulla and Kransmas are, of course, also part of the increasingly popular Vasaloppet Summer Week that started in 2009.
Upcoming events in the Vasaloppet Arena
Vasaloppet Winter Week 2016
- Fri 26 Feb: Kortvasan. 30 km. Start Oxberg.
- Sat 27 Feb: Tjejvasan. 30 km. Start Oxberg.
- Sun 28 Feb: Ungdomsvasan. 3, 5, 7 or 9 km. Start Mora Ski Stadium.
- Sun 28 Feb: Öppet Spår Sunday. 90 km. Start Sälen. (10,000 entries, FULL 26/9/2015)
- Mon 29 Feb: Öppet Spår Monday. 90 km. Start Sälen.
- Tue 1 Mar: Halvvasan. 45 km. Start Oxberg.
- Fri 4 Mar: Stafettvasan. 9–24 km. Relay race for five-person teams. Start Sälen.
- Sun 6 Mar: Vasaloppet. 90 km. Start Sälen. (15,800 entries. FULL 22/3/2015.)
Vasaloppet Summer Week 2016
- Fri 12 aug: Cykelvasan 30. 32 km. Start Oxberg.
- Fri 12 aug: Ungdomscykelvasan. 32 km. Start Oxberg.
- Fri 12 aug: Cykelvasan 45. 45 km. Start Oxberg.
- Fri 12 aug: Cykelvasan Öppet Spår. 94 km. Start Sälen.
- Sat 13 aug: Cykelvasan 90. 94 km. Start Sälen.
- Sat 20 aug: Ultravasan 45. 45 km. Start Oxberg.
- Sat 20 aug: Ultravasan 90. 90 km. Start Sälen.
- Sat 20 aug: Vasastafetten. 4.5–15 km. Running relay race for ten-person teams. Start Sälen.
Hotels in Mora and the Siljan region
Source: Vasaloppet; photo: Vasaloppet/Johan Trygg